Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Elder Romney's Article for the Mission Newspaper

(This is an article that Elder Romney wrote for the mission newspaper. It will come out in June)



DISCIPLINE WEIGHS OUNCES, WHILE REGRET WEIGHS TONS.

I was listening to a John Bytheway talk on being disciplined, specifically in things pertaining to the gospel. One of the quotes that has stuck with me ever since is, “Discipline weighs ounces, while regret weighs tons”. This quote has had a large application in my missionary work. There have been several times in my mission where I've decided to keep driving by someone, or I've decided that I wasn't going to say exactly what the Savior wanted me to say to someone, because it might offend them, or I've coward away from some kind of impression from the spirit, and every time that I have decided to subdue that impression from the spirit, I've felt a huge weight on my shoulders and felt as though I hadn't accomplished my purpose. On the other hand, every time I have decided to put forth that small amount of effort in the very moment and follow that impression, I've felt a huge relief and a greater abundance of the spirit. The effort, that sometimes seems difficult in the moment, brings a lasting peace, and a knowledge that I did what Christ wanted me to do. When I decided that it would be to hard to follow that impression, or that I didn’t want to, the consequences lasted much longer into the day, and I felt the need to repent.  In comparison, the discipline it took to follow the impression weighed ounces, while the regret would weigh tons. Christ gave us the perfect example of being disciplined and knowing His purpose when He suffered for us in the Garden of Gethsemane;
Mark 14: 35-36
35 And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.
36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.

In that moment Christ showed us that the discipline to follow God's will and pay for our sins, paled in comparison to not drinking of the bitter cup and giving up the opportunity to save the children of God. I testify that if we will follow the impressions of the spirit, we will feel the confirming witness that we have done what our Savior wants us to do and have a lasting peace.

Elder Romney

No comments: