Monday, November 24, 2014

novermber 24, 2014 letter

Well another week here in Oregon and it is just getting as cold as ever!! haha but while I've been out here I've found that i am really good at being cheap with money. i think in reality my mission is just getting me ready to live on my own in college and be super super cheap with my wife when we first get married and don't have any money! i can spend about 7 dollars a week and be just fine, so that is an up, but the down is that oatmeal is now flavorless and not very good! I don't know why I'm saving money, i just feel the urge to! haha I've got like 130 dollars on my mission fund card and will be getting another 120 in a week! but I guess i just feel some sort of gratification in saving money (:

So remember how i told you last time that we have started to love getting into the deep doctrine and getting as much knowledge about the church as we can, well we just went to the church library and got 4 encyclopedias on the church and it has been one of the best things ever! there is literally every possible word and thing you can talk about the Mormon church in there and its all approved by Jeffrey R Holland(: I love being able to learn and understand more things every day and also learn those things in Spanish too!

Well this week we were driving by and there was a guy on the side of the road just walking, so we decided to stop and roll down our window to talk to him! We stopped by and told him who we were and why we were here and what we were doing and everything, and he was just like, I've been waiting for this for so long. He said he had a friend that was a member of the church and that he just wanted to learn more about the church and he had no idea how to! So we ended up getting out and talking to him. It was interesting, because as I was talking to him, things were just clicking in my head and everything was just running so smoothly with him and it seemed like we had been long lost best friends! I firmly believe that he is one of the people i was really good friends with in the pre earth life and he is one of the reasons I was sent here. we gave him a Book of Mormon and let him go on his way. Turns out he shows up to church next week and we were so happy for him! I'm kind of sad that elder Perryman and I wont be the ones to get to teach him and bring him to the waters of baptism, because he is in the sister's area and not ours, but it makes me so happy to see what a little thing like stopping and talking to someone! It's awesome to see how everything works together and to know that Heavenly Father has a perfect plan for us and that he will always put the right people in the right place at the right time, We just have to make sure that we listen to the still small voice.

So we went to the park to play some basketball with some kids and teach them a lesson. We got there and we had to run to the restrooms to change our clothes into street clothes. so we were in the stalls and i had just gotten out and I hear elder Perryman in the other stall like groaning. haha I felt so bad for him, I was just like, well, that Spanish food got to him, but I hear him right after say, "Elder Romney, I need you to come in here." I was like, "we may be companions, but there is no way i am going in there!!"! hahahaha but he said, "No i cant move!" haha It turns out he wasn't using the bathroom or anything, some muscle in his back froze and he couldn't move at all. haha So he made me go in there and put on his shoes and pants. If that doesn't show that I love my companion, I don't know what will! But it turns out he just had a strained muscle for a little bit and all is good. I was slightly hoping that he would have to go to the hospital or something, because that is the only justified reason for putting on another mans pants and shoes! (;

well I'm pretty excited about two things that are coming up here pretty soon! We have the turkey bowl on Thursday and I can't wait for it! I don't think I've been this excited for football in my life. I haven't played it for almost a year since i got my surgery! but one of the assistants to the president is apparently a really good football player and he heard that i like to play football to, so he is going to drive all the way here and we are going to go against each other, so i am pretty excited about that (: And I get to be on a traveling choir for the mission! Another buddy of mine in the zone and I get to go sing with a traveling group. But I'm not sure if that is going to fall through or not with all the bad weather that is coming in, but i guess we will see about that(: 

All of my investigators are doing super good and I love to see all of the changes in there lives and how much closer they are to Christ. I honestly would do that over playing in front of 3 thousand people every Friday night. I love it.
Well, I love you guys and I can't wait to hear all about Thanksgiving from everyone! love you!! 
love,
 Elder Romney (:




On Saturday night we got a call from Brother Pister, (pronounced "Pes-ter) who is a man who works with the missionaries in the Woodburn area.  This is the third call we have received from him, telling us that he was just with Spencer, and what they had been doing. He said that Spencer is a great missionary, and is working hard, and that he is doing very well with Spanish, and that everyone loves him there (of course!).  They had been at the church that evening, attending the wedding of investigators who had been married in Mexico, but didn't have their records, so they had to get married again before they could be baptized the following day.  Brother Pister took this picture and sent it to me.  Spencer and his companion will have Thanksgiving at Brother and Sister Pister's house this week.  I asked Spencer if he got a blanket or comforter for his bed yet, and he said that Sister Pister gave them blankets. They are very sweet people who have a missionary out themselves at this time.  I'm so thankful for good and kind people who care for Spencer!



No comments: