Tuesday, December 29, 2015

december 28, 2015 letter

Dear Family:
It was an awesome week this week! We were able to teach a lot of people, and we feel that we have found people that could be ready for baptism. But first off, it was fun to go to Forest Grove for one of the Christmas concerts. You could feel the spirit really strong there and while I was up there in the choir singing, I made eye contact with T! Do you remember him? He was that young 14 year old boy that I baptized when we first got into Forest Grove. Haha right after the concert he came right up and we were able to talk for a little bit. It is awesome to see converts of the church that are still going strong in the gospel. He was talking about how well he was doing and how he had been ordained as a teacher. We talked about a mission, but he said that he didn't know if he was going to go, because he had gotten accepted into some group that is ridiculously hard to get into and he doesn't know if his parents would let him get out of it. He said he wanted to do it for a few years and then leave on a mission. He and his sister would both be awesome missionaries. But it was nice to talk to him and some of the old ward members there in Forest Grove. Sadly some of our other investigators weren't able to come. But during lunch just before the concert, I was able to meet an 18 or 19 year old young Hispanic man who had just been baptized a month or so ago. We hit it off really fast and ended up talking for about 20 minutes. I bore my testimony in the end about going on a mission and you could see the wheels in his head turning and the spirit testifying that it was something he needed to do. He had such a light about him and thanked me for bearing my testimony about going on a mission, so I gave him my mission email and home email and told him to write me when he found out where he was going to go on his mission, and he had promised to do it. 

The next day on Tuesday, we went to Salem for the other concert. After the concert we went on exchanges with the missionaries in Lebanon, Elder Heywood and Elder Floisand. I stayed down there in Lebanon with elder Heywood while Elder Floisand came up here with Elder Joly. It was soo much fun to be with Elder Heywood.. He is just a stud and was a 4A state champion wrestler!  We decided that we were going to be really good friends after the mission(: But we saw so many miracles during that exchange!  It had been a while since I had been able to go on an exchange and it was a lot of fun to be able to go out there and work the entire day on just missionary work! We  invited someone to be baptized and they said yes, and then we had found like 3 or 4 new investigators. We were walking past a house, and I had gotten the impression to knock it, but for some reason i ignored it for a minute or so, and then turned to Elder Heywood and was like, we need to go back! haha It ended up being a family that just moved in like 4 months ago and would love to hear about the Book of Mormon. It was awesome. I had missed doing things like that!  I feel like I had gotten in a rut and just needed to be shaken a little bit! 

On Christmas eve, I got a phone call from a guy on my phone and it ended up being a 14 year old boy who had been taught by missionaries before and wanted to go to the store with us!  It was kind of weird, but we wanted to meet him, so we accepted! haha We walked around on Christmas Eve through Fred Meyers buying Christmas presents for his mom. Hopefully we will be able to start teaching him and his family. He was very mature for his age. 

Christmas day was a lot of fun because I got to open Christmas presents super early in the morning with all of the elders in Newberg, and then dress up in Santa suits. And then I definitely loved talking to all of you. It was nice to see everyone's faces and hear your voices. When you had called, it left a little bubble on the screen of my phone, and I still haven't erased it, so it looks like you called me every time i look at my phone now (; and i also saved the voicemail!  It was also great to see the kids, and meet little McCoy. He is so tiny!  

On Saturday, We had an awesome lesson with a less active member, and we became really good friends. He is 20 years old and had hit rock bottom and wanted to change. We had such a powerful lesson with him and the YSA elders and he came to church for the first time in like 9 or 10 years! One of our most progressing investigators is married to a member, and we went over to teach her because she is less active, but when we went there, it ended up just turning to him. It was such a powerful lesson and as we talked to him, we realized that he didn't even know if God existed, so the other member we brought with us testified to him that God lives, and that he can gain an answer if he prays to Heavenly Father and asks him. It was so powerful. He used to not even want to listen, but this time he asked us to come over like 2 days later, which is today. We are going to have a lesson with 3 people today even though it is our Pday and I'm super excited for them. I actually have one in like 14 minutes, so I have to go! 

I love you so much and i'm grateful for the opportunity to do missionary work. It is my favorite thing in the world. I know that my Savior lives and that He loves me and all those we meet. I know this church is true and that we have a living prophet that leads and guides it. I know this not through reasoning, but through the Holy Ghost. 
I love you all! 
Love, Elder Romney.






No comments: